[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] [vtk-users] OpenGL2 - GPU Volume Rendering performance

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Mon Oct 26 13:53:48 EDT 2015

Simon,

What kind of dataset you are using? Depending on the data type you might be
using
the GPU one or the unstructured renderer. The performance we measured is
related to the GPU ray cast mapper
and will apply only to the vtkImageData inputs.

Also, helpful would be is if you can tell if the new mapper is bringing low
resolution when you interact with the volume (and whether or not it happens
with old mapper).

Thanks,

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Simon ESNEAULT <simon.esneault at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are trying to make the switch to the new OpenGL2 backend for our
> application, and although the switch was easy (thanks for not breaking the
> API ;) ), we can see a significant slowdown on the GPU volume rendering
> part, especially during interaction. Typically we dropped from 15/20 fps to
> 7/8 fps, on the same machine (Win32, Nvidia Quadro K420), with the same
> code around.
>
> This slow down can be seen in ParaView, if you compare the latest 4.4
> OpenGL2 build with the classic 4.4 build while volume rendering a big
> enough volume (512^3)
>
> The blog post here
> http://www.kitware.com/blog/home/post/976
> claims that the new GPU volume rendering implementation should be faster
> than the old one, is there some more detailed explanation somewhere ? Are
> there some important parameters that can make the difference ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon
>
> PS : The polygonal rendering seems a lot faster with the new backend !
>
> --
> Simon Esneault
> Rennes, France

*| Aashish Chaudhary | Technical Leader         | Kitware Inc.            *
*| http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html
<http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html>*