[vtkusers] Reference counting in 6.3

David Cole DLRdave at aol.com
Fri Oct 23 17:07:42 EDT 2015

There is nothing that guarantees the reference count of an object
derived from vtkObject will be any certain value immediately after
construction.

It totally depends on what happens to the object during its
constructor. It might set up a whole network of other objects, and
then give references to itself to some of them. Some of them might
increase the reference count of the object, some of them might not.

If you call Register, the reference count goes up. If you call
Unregister, it goes down. If it goes down far enough, the object's
destructor is called and the memory is released.

The mechanism itself has not changed significantly lately (that I know
of...), but individual objects may have changed their behavior with
respect to "what's the reference count immediately after construction"
or " what's the count after a single or repeated calls to
SetInputConnection..."

You should not rely on the reference count value for anything other
than automatic cleanup when no more references exist.

HTH,
David C.