[vtkusers] Building VTK without OpenGL

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Oct 21 17:03:21 EDT 2015

Thanks for everyone's help. I got this working now.

As Bill and David suggested, I had to change VTK_RENDERING_BACKGROUND to
OpenGL or OpenGL2. However, I don't understand why None is even provided
as an option if it is not supported.

Anyway, doing that caused an error about not finding OpenGL (because there
is none on my system). The solution is to first turn off all VTK_Group_*
options and configure again. At this point you get an error about all
modules being off, but when using the GUI this step is necessary because
the majority of the Module_* options do not show up until this point. Once
I've done that I can flip on the appropriate modules.

That said, I expect Bill's suggestion of running CMake with command line
arguments setting the Module variables on should work just fine. Of
course, that would mean I would know the right variables beforehand, which
I don't. I just muddle along with the GUI because I is not a
sophistimacated user.

-Ken