[vtkusers] vtkTriangleStrip and empty vtkSTLWriter output

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Oct 21 12:13:13 EDT 2015

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 13:17:42 -0400, Bill Lorensen said:

>I looked at the STLWriter code:
>
>1) It reports an error if a polygon is not a triangle.
>2) It reports nothing if there are triangle strips.
>
>At a minimum I think it should handle triangle strips. No need to run
>triangle filter, I'll decompose the strips on the fly.

Does this cause any inconsistency wrt other similar writers?  For example, I just looked at our exporter code and it basically does:

- create vtkTriangleFilter
- switch on file type (ply, stl, vtk)
- create vtkPLYWriter/vtkSTLWriter/vtkPolyDataWriter

I imagine others have similar code.  I admittedly didn't check, but it would be nice if I could remove this vtkTriangleFilter for all cases, and not need it for some but not others...

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com