[vtkusers] internal radiotherapy kernel

mbcx9rb9 richard.j.brown at live.co.uk
Thu Oct 15 08:23:47 EDT 2015

Hi all,

Im working on internal radiotherapy and, currently, I calculate my absorbed
dose information (DVH etc.) by adding a kernel (vtkImageData) at each
treatment point to a large dose grid (vtkImageData) that covers the whole
treatment region. Then I pass by vtkImageAccumulate to do the dosimetry.

Is this the best way to do it? Because if the majority receives no absorbed
dose, it seems wasteful (in terms of memory) to have those voxels at the
same resolution as in my kernel, where I have a very steep gradient of
absorbed dose.

Are there any other approaches? Would it, for example, be possible to store
my kernel as a vtkUnstructuredGrid and still pass it by vtkImageAccumulate
and get the same results?

Thanks for any responses in advance.