[vtkusers] Why do my vtkRenderWindows divide up the frame rate?

Kirchner, Thomas t.kirchner at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Mon Oct 12 19:50:39 EDT 2015

Hello everyone,

i am trying to get multiple vtkRenderWindows to render (4 different
image streams in my case) simultaneously at 60fps which seems to be the
frame rate limit for one single vtkRenderWindow (at least with my
screen). It appears to me that multiple render windows in the same
application share those 60fps ... e.g. yielding exactly 15fps for 4 windows.
If i just start a new application for each window this does not occur
(which gives me hope but doesn't help)

I can't figure out why this frame rate limit is "shared" and i dont think
this behavior is intended. But maybe you guys know how i can avoid this
effect?
(my simple example, mostly stitched together from other example code is
attached)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Thomas