[vtkusers] VTK and Python on OS X El Capitan

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Tue Oct 6 14:19:13 EDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 13:53:08 +0200, Eric Nodwell wrote:
> For VTK 6.3.0 in OS X 10.11 El Capitan, if you are compiling VTK
> yourself, it is no longer possible to link against the system python.
> This is due to the new System Integrity Protection. The system python
> is a protected location in OS 10.11, and SIP is very strict about what
> can be linked, and how, to restricted programs. Although the build
> will succeed, this is what happens when you attempt to load VTK in
> python:

So Apple has crippled their Python (e.g., how do you use your own NumPy
with the system Python now if you can't load it?). I guess you could pay
$100 a year, but that seems silly just for code I run locally too. But I
hear that apparently the standard operating procedure is to just build
your own Python anyways for such use cases (or use python.org too).

What's funny is that they don't require signed .py files as well since
they're just as arbitrary code as any .so modules.

--Ben