[vtkusers] Simultaneously build Python 2&3 interface

Matthias Blaicher matthias at blaicher.com
Mon Oct 5 16:51:10 EDT 2015

On 10/04/2015 08:26 PM, David Gobbi wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Matthias Blaicher
> <matthias at blaicher.com <mailto:matthias at blaicher.com>> wrote:
>
> It has already been merged into the upcoming release branch, the next
> release will probably be 6.3.1 (I have no control over releases, but
> I'm guessing it will be soon i.e. within a few weeks).
>
> I'm unclear though, how I'm supposed to build a python 2 and python
> 3 interface at the same time. Is this even possible right now? Hints
> on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!
>

> They can't be built simultaneously, but you can try building one and
> then the other. The libraries are versioned (e.g.
> vtkCommonCorePython27D.dll) but the extension modules are not
> (vtkCommonCorePython.pyd) so when doing the second build, make sure
> that you don't overwrite the first set of extension modules with the
> second.

So I've looked into this. As you mentioned, the extension modules are
not versioned, but since they are placed in their respective
site-packages directory that is no problem.

All other library files with Python in their name in lib/ are versioned
with one exception: lib/libvtkFiltersPython.so exists in the python 2
and python 3 case without a version number. I guess this is not by purpose?

Best,
Matthias