[vtkusers] Rendering multiple volumes

dewarren davideugenewarren+vtk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 18:08:27 EST 2015

Weiguang, thanks for the tip — that's interesting.  It's possible such a
solution could work for my needs.  Unfortunately, my first attempt to
implement it didn't work.  I think that the answer may lie in VTK's
definition of a volume.

Briefly, the back-to-front rendering solution could work for me depending on
what the following means: "multiple volumes do not overlap in 3D space".  If
that means that two "volumes" (I'm using the term loosely because of my
ignorance) can be rendered correctly so long as they don't occupy any common
voxels, I think it can work.  If it instead means that two volumes can be
rendered correctly only so long as their bounding boxes do not intersect,
then it won't work.

For example, if I have a brain template and a map of a brain lesion on that
template, I could create two arrays that represent the intact and lesioned
parts of the brain, and then apply unique transfer functions to each for
display (coloring the intact brain in grayscale and the lesion in red, say).
The intact and lesioned brain regions would not overlap in space, but they
would be adjacent, have a complex boundary, and have overlapping bounding
boxes.  Would it be possible to render this scene with VTK currently?

Many thanks!