[vtkusers] Building VTK 5.10 with VS 2015

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Tue Nov 10 10:54:32 EST 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 01:01:06 +0000, Gib Bogle wrote:
> Unfortunately my student has Visual Studio 2015 Community - the
> earlier VS versions seem to be no longer available on Dreamspark.  I
> am trying to build VTK 5.10.1 with this version, but 8 library builds
> failed.  Here are a few of the error messages:

VS2013 Community should still be available. Maybe not on Dreamspark, but
it doesn't need a paid-for license either (as long as the work is FOSS).

<snip>

> Am I wasting my time with VS 2015?

We only got VTK 6 working with VS2015 this year; I doubt VTK 5 support
would be turn-key. There are numerous places in the code that assume
that MSVC is not well-behaved where 2015 actually is (e.g., providing
things like snprintf *as* snprintf). It could probably be patched to
work, but VTK 5 is unlikely to get another release.

--Ben