[vtkusers] help for rendering a large amount of images

Henry Blanco henry.blanco at cbiomed.cu
Tue Nov 3 14:49:12 EST 2015

Thanks David for your soon reply. My problem is to load and render
thousands of medical images, organized into series, by using VTK, but
considering strong limitations in terms of RAM (e.g., only 128 or 256 MB
of RAM available).

To achieve this task, we have tried to use the "vtkImageDataStreamer"
class, but we have failed. This class seems to load the whole volume
into memory, therefore loading 2000 CT images (1GB) into memory may fail
if we just consider 128 MB of RAM.

We are thinking to split the whole volume into K blocks and to load
a block of images into memory just when it's needed. The illusion of
having the whole volume loaded in memory could be achieved by
uploading/downloading one or more blocks of images to/from memory when
needed. We're wondering whether exists some vtk classes which can be
used to picture a view different than the original one (e.g., sagittal,
coronal, or even oblique view) without loading the whole volume of
images into memory.

Henry