[vtkusers] Segmentation fault when trying to export a vtk mesh

Luc Valade lucj.valade at gmail.com
Thu May 21 03:34:31 EDT 2015

Hi,

I have a problem with the export of vtk meshes using vtkXMLWriter class.
Indeed, my project builds without any problem, but during the run, the call
of the vtkXMLWriter method Write() generates a segmentation fault.

I works on Windows and uses qtcreator and qmake. I uses the version 6.2 of
vtk. I've already build tutorial vtk projects using qmake to learn how to
well linked projects to vtk dlls, and it worked well.

Here is the projet I tried to run without success (.pro and main.cpp file)

TEMPLATE = app

CONFIG += console

CONFIG -= app_bundle

CONFIG -= qt

SOURCES += main.cpp

INCLUDEPATH += "C:\Program Files (x86)\VTK\include\vtk-6.2"

LIBS += "-LC:\Program Files (x86)\VTK\lib"

LIBS += -lvtkCommonDataModel-6.2.dll \

        -lvtkCommonCore-6.2.dll \

        -lvtkIOXML-6.2.dll

#include <vtkVersion.h>

#include <vtkCellArray.h>

#include <vtkPoints.h>

#include <vtkXMLPolyDataWriter.h>

#include <vtkPolyData.h>

#include <vtkSmartPointer.h>

int main ( int, char *[] )

{

  // Create 10 points.

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkPoints> points =

    vtkSmartPointer<vtkPoints>::New();

  for ( unsigned int i = 0; i < 10; ++i )

    {

    points->InsertNextPoint ( i, i, i );

    }

  // Create a polydata object and add the points to it.

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData> polydata =

    vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData>::New();

  polydata->SetPoints(points);

  // Write the file

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLPolyDataWriter> writer =

    vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLPolyDataWriter>::New();

  writer->SetFileName("test.vtp");

#if VTK_MAJOR_VERSION <= 5

  writer->SetInput(polydata);

#else

  writer->SetInputData(polydata);

#endif

  // Optional - set the mode. The default is binary.

  //writer->SetDataModeToBinary();

  //writer->SetDataModeToAscii();

  writer->Write();

  return EXIT_SUCCESS;