[vtkusers] Coloring "local" elevation

vertan hedman.filip at gmail.com
Wed May 13 20:16:09 EDT 2015

Hi!

Imagine this scenario; I have some 3D data from the real world that I want
to color according to elevation. There is a flat area on one end, with some
kind of small crater. On the other side, there is a higher plateau that also
has a crater. If I were to color this with a simple lookup table and
vtkElevationFilter, I'd have a red color on the higher plateau and a blue
color down on the lower, flat side.

However, what I really want is to highlight the craters elevation only, and
somehow "ignore" the height around them. I've seen terms like "local
elevation" or "relative elevation" before, which sounds like something I
want. So I might want to look at the local neighbours when comparing the
elevation, rather than the whole global elevation of the 3D object.

I've searched around through the VTK documentation, but being new to VTK, I
haven't found anything that might suit my needs, so I'm hoping that someone
here might have an idea!

Thanks