[vtkusers] vtkClipDataSet inconsistency

Gerrick Bivins Gerrick.Bivins at halliburton.com
Fri Mar 20 12:03:40 EDT 2015

Hi all,
I'm trying to allow my user to define an ROI of an unstructured grid to display the cells.
One thing to note here is that is that my datasets don't have point data just cell data.
Not sure that matters but I see a lot of checking for point data in the "clip" classes.
Anyway...
Previously, I was using vtkExtractGeometry with a vtkBox and it worked fine.

Now the request is to "cut" the cells instead of extracting entire cells.

I've tried vtkClipPolyData, vtkBoxClipDataSet and vtkClipDataSet.
These all gave various results from no output to something "crimped".

vtkClipDataSet gave the closest to what I want but I can't get it to cut the cells
in my dataset. Instead it looks like it attempts to smooth them out. This is the behavior
using vtkBox and vtkPlanes as the implicit function.
:(
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D062FD.8689A540]
The behavior that I really want I can replicate using a single vtkPlane as my implicit function.
[cid:image006.jpg at 01D062FD.8689A540]
All of this I've replicated in paraview so 2 questions

1.       Is there some more details on the differences in functionality of vtkClipPolyData,vtkBoxClipDataSet and vtkClipDataSet?
I get that vtkClipPolyData is for vtkPolyData input so I'm not looking for that. I'm wondering why I couldn't get this
to work for my dataset.

2.       Why does the output vary based on defining multiple planes via a box (vtkBox,vtkPlanes) or a single vtkPlane as the implicit function?

Thanks for any input here.
Gerrick

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.