[vtkusers] Problem with fullscreen on Windows with fix

WeltMarco godimarcovr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 06:41:33 EDT 2015

Hello,
i'm working on a fullscreen application and from what i found i just need to
call SetFullscreen(1) on my renderwindow.
On my Windows 8.1 machine with an Intel HD 4000 and on another Windows 8.1
machine with an nVidia GT540M the following bug occurs: just calling
SetFullscreen(1) isn't enough, it just causes the window to lose borders and
enlarge to a size that doesn't cover the fullscreen (it's anchored on the
top left and it doesn't reach the bottom-right).

I found 2 solutions to this:
1) call SetSize(w,h), but with this you need to get the computer resolution
and use that
2) for some reason, calling GetScreenSize() after the FullScreen call, makes
the fullscreen work (but only if you have the taskbar hidden, if it's
visible the fullscreen only reaches to it).

Looking at the vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow source code i think the problem
may be that by calling SetFullscreen the GetScreenSize call inside of it
gets the SPI_GETWORKAREA information, but that isn't the right way to get
fullscreen resolution.
(info on this here
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724947(v=vs.85).aspx
)

Hope someone fixes it, in the meantime the solutions i posted should work.