[vtkusers] VTK Python3 support

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 12:21:41 EST 2015

As far as I'm aware, python 3 support hasn't moved forward since the last
time it came up on the list.  I think that, for too many of us, python is
python and python2 is available on every machine we use.

Issues:
1) VTK wrapping still uses old-style classes.  I've been meaning to fix
this.
2) Basic compile issues and cross-compatibility for py3 and py2 - we
received a patch that fixes some of these issues.
3) Conversion of examples and tests to py3... this is a biggie!  Lots of
community help required.

Overall, I've just been waiting for py3k to become dominant... but python2
is still the default python on OS X and on most of the linux systems that I
use.  My guess is that Kitware is in the same position.  The demand for
py3k support just doesn't seem to be there yet, even after all these years.

So of course, if anyone out there has a need for py3k, please let us know!
Compatibility with Blender has come up before.

 - David