[vtkusers] Mailing list or forum or SO?

David Cole DLRdave at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 10:52:35 EDT 2015

Every time I've looked for the solution to a practical programming
related issue in the last 6 or 7 years, an answer to a Stack Overflow
question has been the most reliable source of information, often all
right there in the answer, and if not, then in pages linked directly
from the answer. Every time.

Every. Single. Time.

Usually in the top 5, and frequently in the top 2, Google results.
There is absolutely no question: Stack Overflow beats mailing lists,
hands down, for search-ability.

So.... when your question is: "this won't compile or link, how come?"
or "why doesn't this code work even though it builds ok?" or "this
code works on Linux and Mac, but crashes in our Windows build, why?"
or "what's wrong with this CMakeLists.txt snippet? it's not doing what
I thought it should do..." -- it belongs on Stack Overflow. Once
you've asked it there, by all means, post a link to it here in the VTK
mailing list, with a simple rephrasing of the question.

The mailing list is also very useful, and some questions are more
general VTK philosophy type questions, and the people on the mailing
list are generally friendly and helpful. Non-programming questions do
not belong on Stack Overflow... So I wouldn't *stop* asking for help
here... But if it's a programming question, it totally belongs on
Stack Overflow, with a link posted here.

My 2 cents worth,
David C.