[vtkusers] Long-term support for previous VTK release

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Wed Jun 10 20:16:46 EDT 2015

Hi David,

Sounds good. We had a discussion about testing at Kitware. With the new
infrastructure we have in place, we won't need nightly testing. We can just
test when changes are made to master. CDash now supports showing latest
dashboard results every day, no matter how long ago they were run. This
will allow us to throw as many dashboard systems as we use on the latest
version to older versions, since changes will happen rarely...

We need to figure out the details of how we will do this. It is likely VTK
8 and 9 will come fairly quickly after 7 and they are very likely to bring
fairly big changes both in terms of API as well as supported compilers. So
my current thinking is to have VTK 6 live for several years (3-5?) while 7,
8 and 9 would come and go fairly quickly. So anyone who doesn't want to
ride this new wave of changes could stick to 6 but those that jump on 7 or
later will have to be willing to move forward... Does this make sense?
Alternative suggestions are welcome. With the caveat that maintaining
multiple versions of several years would be challenging for the community.

Best,
-berk