[vtkusers] Volume Rendering Update

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Mon Jun 1 19:27:04 EDT 2015

Hi Mike,

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 5:48 PM, Mike Guttman <mguttman at jhu.edu> wrote:

> Disappointing to hear that the current plan is to discontinue
> vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D.  It was always a reliable tool and produced
> good looking renderings with little tweaking.

Sorry to hear this. You can get same or better quality with
GPUVolumeMapper. Most of the modern renderers use Ray Casting algorithm and
for most part it is the most recent algorithm that gives most features,
image quality, and performance. Have you tried using it? I would love to
hear more on what you find out.

>  Perhaps this can be ported to work with the OpenGL2 backend?

There has to be a strong reason why we need to support it. We have
FixedPoint (CPU) and RayCast (GPU). GPU Mapper now supports more features
than CPU or any other mapper, flexibility (via custom shaders), and
performance. In our testing, the new mapper out performs old mapper (w/o
shading) and with my new branch it will out perform old mapper w/ shading.
If you can identify reasons for vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D, then we can
see what we can on on our end.

- aashish