[vtkusers] Failed attempt connection between VTK and ZeroMQ

David Cole DLRdave at aol.com
Thu Jul 23 08:59:04 EDT 2015

Really?

>From the code you attached:

    vtkRenderWindow *renWin = vtkRenderWindow::New();
    renWin->AddRenderer( ren1 );
    renWin->SetSize( 300, 300 );

    // Send reply back to client
    zmq::message_t reply;
    memcpy((void *)reply.data(), renWin, 99999);
    socket.send(reply);

Two questions back to you:

Why do you think a pointer to a vtkRenderWindow in one process may be
sent across a ZMQ socket to another process in this manner?

Why do you think the vtkRenderWindow points to 99999 bytes worth of memory?

I suggest studying up on how to serialize data for sending across a
socket from one process to another before you try to do it with VTK
objects.

To start with, search for "serializ" on this web page:
http://zeromq.org/area:faq and just google around for serializing
stuff for zeromq.

Also: http://stackoverflow.com/q/14480161/236192 (and there's a
section on the right with other related stack overflow questions...)

HTH,
David C.