[vtkusers] Build error with 3d Connexion device

Benoit Rosa benoit.rosa at kuleuven.be
Fri Jul 17 13:00:26 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I try to make a 3DConnexion space navigator work with VTK+Qt on Linux. I
Basically followed the steps given here :
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/3DConnexion_Devices_Support (by the way, the
link to the CMakeLists.txt file is wrong).

I use VTK 6.2 (also tried with version 6.3) and Qt 5, on ubuntu 12.04
with cmake.

I will make a long post (sorry) explaining all the different hassles
that I had, because there are many. I tried to look a lot on the
internet for possible resolution, but without much luck.

Everything goes fine on the driver side, I can run examples and happily
see the cube moving on the screen. Installation of the SDK goes well,
and I can also run xapp without any problem.

Hassle begins with the Cmake. I can run ccmake and turn on the
VTK_USE_TDx to ON, but have no variable named VTK_TDX_INCLUDE_PATH or
VTK_TDX_OBJECT_PATH. WHen I try to run directly cmake and define those
variables, cmake fires a warning saying that they are not used by the
project.

Anyway, configuration goes through so let's try to build ... And here
comes a lot of "Undefined reference to MagellanX" errors. I managed to
go through those by editing
Rendering/OpenGL/CMakeFiles/vtkRenderingOpenGL.dir/link.txt and adding
-lxdrvlib to the linker dependencies, but this is getting nasty already
... But fixing the link, we can go further.

Now at link of ../../lib/libvtkGUISupportQt-6.2.so, I get the following :

CMakeFiles/vtkGUISupportQt.dir/QVTKApplication.cxx.o: In function
`QVTKApplication::setDevice(vtkTDxDevice*)':
[home]/VTK-6.2.0/GUISupport/Qt/QVTKApplication.cxx:58: undefined
reference to `QVTKApplication::CreateDevice(vtkTDxDevice*)'

This error is particularly weird, since CreateDevice is a signal defined
in QVTKApplication.h, I don't really get why it appears. Moreover, the
QObject::connect on line 28 of the same file connects
SIGNAL(CreateDevice(vtkTDxDevice *) , so the undefined reference error
should already fire at that moment ?

If anybody has some clues for my problem, that would be great. I tried
to hack in here and there, and I manage to get the thing finally
compiling, but get then runtime errors about missing slot
QVTKApplication::setDevice, so I guess I should compile correctly
without hacking in before continuing.

Thanks for your help !
Benoit

--
Benoit Rosa,  Postdoctoral researcher, PhD

KU Leuven, Department of Mechanical Engineering, division PMA
Celestijnenlaan 300, box 2420
3001 Leuven

Email : benoit.rosa at kuleuven.be
Phone : +32 16 37 79 00