[vtkusers] Having trouble opening exported OBJ files in other programs.

Smith, Jesse JesseSmith at my.unt.edu
Mon Jan 12 00:17:39 EST 2015

In vtk I have exported a scene to .obj/.mtl using vtkOBJExporter. The vtkRenderWindow that is connected the vtkOBJExporter only contains 3 actors: two spheres and a cylinder (tube filter).

I have been trying to open the obj in other software, but with varying luck. I have tried opening the file in Blender and meshlab where it fails (meshlab complains about "Bad texture coords index in face"). However, the file opens successfully in netfabb.

On the other hand, if I union boolean (vtkBooleanOperationPolyDataFilter) the three polydata (2 spheres and cylinder) together, and create one actor for the resulting single polydata, the obj/mtl from that scene opens successfully in all three programs.

Attached is the obj/mtl files that fail.

What could be the issue here?

Thanks