[vtkusers] vtkDICOMImageReader does not support to read all Dicom image format

Matias Montroull matimontg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 07:30:58 EST 2015

You can use command line tool to dump this type of information, eg gdcminfo:

$ gdcminfo 012345.002.050.dcm
MediaStorage is 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.4 [MR Image Storage]
TransferSyntax is 1.2.840.10008.1.2.4.70 [JPEG Lossless,
Non-Hierarchical, First-Order Prediction (Process 14 [Selection Value
1]): Default Transfer Syntax for Lossless JPEG Image Compression]

Pay attention that for the case of JPEG 2000 and JPEG-LS the transfer
syntax itself is not sufficient to indicate whether or not the Pixel Data
stream has been lossy or lossless compressed. This could be important for
your organisation as lossy compression could impact professional
interpretation.

Ref: http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/html/gdcminfo.html