[vtkusers] Compile Example fails:VTK not found

DEEVANKSHU GARG deevankshu096 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 01:33:53 EST 2015

Hey all!
I am new to VTK and CMake.I was able to successfully build VTK from cmake.I
am now trying to build some examples,the most basic ones like Distance
between points and Distance between a line and a point.

Every time I configure it using the cmake command,I get the error:

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindVTK.cmake:135 (message):
  VTK not found.  Set the VTK_DIR cmake cache entry to the directory
  containing VTKConfig.cmake.  This is either the root of the build tree, or
  PREFIX/lib/vtk for an installation.  For VTK 4.0, this is the location of
  UseVTK.cmake.  This is either the root of the build tree or
  PREFIX/include/vtk for an installation.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:6 (find_package)

I googled for the error and went across the vtk-users archive where a
solution was provided,that was by running ccmake.
Then I tried to run ccmake before building the example and changed the
VTK_DIR path to the directory containing the VTKConfig.cmake file but it
still gives the same error.It's getting really frustrating now.

Can somebody please suggest some fix?It would be really appreciated.

Thanks and Regards!