[vtkusers] positional vtkLight shining on triangle mesh

Caspargr . caspar.gr at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 08:42:35 EST 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble creating a laser that casts a circular laser spot on a
surface.
I want the laser spot to be nicely circular, but as the surface is a
triangle mesh, the triangle shapes dominate the shape of my laser spot. The
only way I found to make the laser spot nicely circular, was to greatly
reduce the triangle size, w.r.t. the laser spot size.
The attached picture illustrates the problem.

Is there any solution to smooth the laser spot edge, such that it appears
circular, without reducing the triangle size?

In brief what I did:
I created a vtkLight _laser_.
I set _laser_ to Positional.
I reduced the ConeAngle of _laser_ to create a bounded light beam.
I directed _laser_ at a flat triangle mesh.

Thank you for your help!

Caspar