[vtkusers] VTK mesh to Dicom (PACS)

Sebastian Hilbert sebastian.hilbert at gmx.net
Tue Dec 29 08:30:16 EST 2015

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could point me into the right direction.

Background: We are working with MR data of the heart and are rendering/
segmenting regions of interest to models (e.g. left atrium). Those are then
exported to STL by a software called Philips Intellispace Portal and
subsequently converted to VTK. Those meshes/models are then used in clinical
routine.

Goal: What we would like to achieve somehow is to store these VTK meshes in a
PACS for data exchange. From what I have understood so far it is not possible
to store VTK meshes in a PACS. What would you suggest ? Is this something that
can be implemented ?

There seems to be some related bits in the Dicom specification but I am stuck
here.

ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/final/sup132_ft.pdf

My research also led me to two solutions by medical device vendors who seem to
have implemented a way to store their model formats in Dicom file(s). One
solution Ensite NavX by St. Jude Medical seems to store the XML (VTK ascii
like) content in a private tag and the other company seems to store (VTK
binary ?) data in private tags as well.

I do have sample Dicom files from both products as well as the file format
specifications for both products.

I wonder what it would take to come up with a solution based on the specs and
the sample files. If anyone could point me into the right direction that would
be great.

Regards,
Sebastian