[vtkusers] Annotations for Medical Images

Siavash Khallaghi siavashk at ece.ubc.ca
Thu Aug 27 20:00:26 EDT 2015

Hello,

I am developing my own medical image viewer (something like  3D Slicer
<http://www.slicer.org/>   or  ITK-Snap
<http://www.itksnap.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php>  ).

I have written the GUI using Qt and I use a QVTKWidget to display images. I
am using the vtkInteractorStyleUser to interact (zooming/panning) with my
images. So far everything works fine.

Now, I would like to add a new feature. If the user presses a keyboard
shortcut or presses a button, he/she should be able to create annotations
(e.g., draw basic shapes, contours or write text) on the images. I need a
suitable container class for this.

Does VTK come with this functionality? If there is something like this
already within VTK, I would rather not reinvent the wheel. I would also
rather steer away from commercial solutions, such as  LeadTools
<https://www.leadtools.com/>  .

Thanks,

Siavash