[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] VTK-py3k is ready for testing

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Mon Aug 24 10:16:31 EDT 2015

Hi David,

first: this is really great news!

However, I had some problems with the installation
and thus a few questions:
- I used current master
     (git clone https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk.git VTK)
- and a conda environment for python3
- Using ccmake 2.8.12.2 (and also the current git version),
   I set:
      VTK_PYTHON_VERSION              *3
   (Its actual value should be:
   "Python version to use: 2, 2.x, or empty"
   )
   I was hoping that this would pick up the right python3,
   however, as a result I got:
    PYTHON_EXECUTABLE                /usr/bin/python2
    PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR               /usr/include/python2.7
    PYTHON_LIBRARY                   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpython2.7.so

   Thus I manually changed the paths to point to the right python and
   finally ended up with a vtk which could be imported in python3!

Question: is the above (in principle) the right approach,
or is there some other/better way to get the configuration right?
(Or is it just because python3 is not yet supported by cmake/ccmake?).

Best, Arnd