[vtkusers] Request to make some member function as virtual

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Thu Aug 13 13:10:10 EDT 2015

Yes, it will be automatically available in ParaView once someone updates
ParaView's VTK submodule version. This happens fairly frequently, so you
should expect that within a couple of weeks after your change is merged
into VTK it should be available from within ParaView.

Cory

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Chiranjib Sur <sur.chiranjib at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi David,
> Thank you very much. Assuming that after the submission and review when it
> will be part of the mainstream VTK codebase, will it be automatically
> available in ParaView sources too? I am building my own ParaView tree as
> well and the changs I have mentioned I need that to be part of VTK at ParaView.
>
> What are your thoughts and suggestions about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Chiranjib
>
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:30 PM, David E DeMarle <
> dave.demarle at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> That is most likely fine. Please submit a merge request via gitlab. There
>> developers will review your change and merge it to master. One merged it
>> will appear in subsequent releases.
>>
>> Start at the following web page to learn how to contribute to VTK
>> http://www.vtk.org/contributing-code/
>>

>> David E DeMarle
>> Kitware, Inc.
>> R&D Engineer
>> 21 Corporate Drive
>> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
>> Phone: 518-881-4909
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Chiranjib Sur <sur.chiranjib at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I am working on my own implementation of vtkXMLWriter and I start with
>>> inheriting the vtkXMLWriter class. While doing this, I realised that I can
>>> obtain my desired XML data format if I can overload the function
>>> vtkXMLWriter::WriteArrayFooter(...)
>>> vtkXMLWriter::WriteArrayInline(...),
>>> vtkXMLWriter::WriteInlineData(..).
>>>
>>> Currently they are not declared as virtual function and hence the
>>> overloading will not work. I can do that by modifying the original vtk
>>> class and build my VTK library based on the changes. But these hacks will
>>> be gone once I update my VTk source codes.
>>>
>>> My question is the following :
>>> Is it possible to make these function virtual in future releases? Except
>>> the vtkXMLWriter class there is no other implementation of those functions,
>>> but they are being used by vtkXMLPolydataWriter since the latter is
>>> inherited from the base class.
>>>
>>> I am curious to know what is the thought here.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chiranjib

>>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ