[vtkusers] Request to make some member function as virtual

Chiranjib Sur sur.chiranjib at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 12:47:09 EDT 2015

Hi,
I am working on my own implementation of vtkXMLWriter and I start with
inheriting the vtkXMLWriter class. While doing this, I realised that I can
obtain my desired XML data format if I can overload the function
vtkXMLWriter::WriteArrayFooter(...)
vtkXMLWriter::WriteArrayInline(...),
vtkXMLWriter::WriteInlineData(..).

Currently they are not declared as virtual function and hence the
overloading will not work. I can do that by modifying the original vtk
class and build my VTK library based on the changes. But these hacks will
be gone once I update my VTk source codes.

My question is the following :
Is it possible to make these function virtual in future releases? Except
the vtkXMLWriter class there is no other implementation of those functions,
but they are being used by vtkXMLPolydataWriter since the latter is
inherited from the base class.

I am curious to know what is the thought here.

Thanks,
Chiranjib