[vtkusers] Update 1 | Bug fix notes for building VTK 6.2.0 with MS VS2015 on Windows 10 x64

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Tue Aug 11 11:36:26 EDT 2015

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 11:03:43 -0400, Audrius Stundzia wrote:
> The previous reported fixes apply to both the VTK 6.2.0 Debug and
> Release version builds.
>
> In building the VTK 6.2.0 Release version, specifically, encountered the
> following MS VS2015 RTM  compiler bug [previously reported by Yordan
> Kyosev with no resolution]
>
> Project: vtkIOEnSight
>
> File: vtkEnSightReader.cxx
>
> 1> vtkEnSightReader.cxx
> 1> Generating Code...
> 1>e:\vtk\vtk-6.2.0\io\ensight\vtkensightreader.cxx(1568): fatal error
>     C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
> 1> (compiler file 'f:\dd\vctools\compiler\utc\src\p2\main.c', line 246)
> 1> To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program
>    near the locations listed above.
>
> Experiments with updating the code in question did not fix the issue. As
> I do not use the vtkIOEnSight project, the Gordian Knot solution was to
> simply remove this project from the build.

Please see this branch for all of the changes for 2015 that I've seen so
far:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/446

It includes the fix for IOEnSight. Testing welcome (our 2015 buildbot is
low priority in scheduling since it is known to not work, so it takes
time to come back with results).

--Ben