[vtkusers] Dynamic field probing?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Sat Aug 8 08:30:04 EDT 2015

You might use vtkValuePasses. This is a new class in vtk6.2 and note it has
not yet been ported to the OpenGL2 backend but I need to do that in the
next two months or so. See the tests for examples of its use. It was
developed for Cinema.

What it does is render specific arrays into the color buffer. Then with a
pixel color and the min and max values of the array you can recover the
value behind the pixel - within conversion to/from 24bit representation
tolerance that is. It is similar to the way selection works but with this
you will be able to skip the step of looking up the particular node/element
behind the pixel before recovering the value.

I have not yet used it for the exact purpose you describe, but I've meant
to since before I wrote it and should be able to assist.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive