[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] VTK-py3k is ready for testing

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:04:44 EDT 2015

I'm planning to merge the py3k branch later today (around 4pm or so ET).
This is going to cause some test failures on any dashboards that are still
running python 2.5 (do any of these still exist?).

Backwards compatibility for Python 2.6 and 2.7 should be excellent. They
saw only to major changes:
1) The wrappers use new-style classes, i.e. every VTK class is wrapped as a
type object.  So type(vtkDataArray()) is vtkDataArray, unlike before when
type(vtkDataArray()) was 'vtkobject'.
2) The wrappers support the new n-dimensional buffer interface, so
numpy.asarray(vtk_array) creates a zero-copy numpy array from a VTK data
array.

Python 3.2 and higher should also work well, with some caveats:
1) VTK is still set up to use python 2 by default, so when configuring VTK
with cmake, you must provide the paths to the python 3 executable, the
python 3 include dir, and the python 3 library.
2) Most of the python tests and examples will only run with python 2.
3) Most of VTK's python utility modules (e.g. vtk.tk) will only run with
python 2.
4) The wrappers will encode python strings to utf8 bytes before passing it
to VTK.

Obviously, converting the utility modules and tests to python 3 will be a
lot of work.  And keeping support for python 2 is a must ... all code must
run with python 2.6, 2.7, and 3.2+.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who are willing to help
with these modules: vtk.wx,  vtk.qt4, vtk.gtk

Of course if anyone wants to convert some examples or tests, shoot an email
to the list and I'll try to coordinate.  If you want to update the wiki
examples, then you can just log into the wiki and edit them.

 - David