[vtkusers] Support for Windows XP and 32-bit PPC MAC OS

Sujin Philip sujin.philip at kitware.com
Fri Apr 24 14:20:39 EDT 2015

Hi Sean,

That is correct. According to Apple's documentation, 64-bit atomic math is
not available on 32 bit ppc machines. For now, I am using try_compiles to
determine what operations are available on a platform and reverting to
mutexes for missing atomic operations. I was worried that the extra
try-compiles will slow the configuration process unnecessarily. I am
leaving them in for now. We can remove them when we no longer care about
these platforms in the future.

Thanks
Sujin