[vtkusers] patient direction when superimposing RT struct on DICOM

mbcx9rb9 richard.j.brown at live.co.uk
Thu Apr 23 11:31:34 EDT 2015

Hi all,

A scan was segmented using another program and I want to superimpose RT
struct and the scan.

The problem is that the z-components don't line up. When I look at the
maximum and minimum z positions of the same scan in OsiriX and dicompyler, I
can see that the z values range from -163.75mm to 85mm.

However, using vtkGDCMImageReader, the bounds range from 85 mm to 287mm. I
have FileLowerLeftOn() to invert the bottom-to-top default of VTK.

It's as if the spacing is negative or in the opposite direction.

Something that strikes me as strange is that I have 202 slices with
(1mm,1mm,1mm) spacing but OsiriX and dicompyler are telling me that the
total distance range of the scan is 248.75mm whereas VTK is telling me what
I expected - 202mm.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on what's going on?

Thanks