[vtkusers] Volume rendering update

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Tue Apr 21 10:45:48 EDT 2015

Hi All,

We have made several improvements to the volume rendering engine in the
last few months and will be pushing more changes to VTK in the next two
weeks. Below is a quick summary of our work. Your suggestions and
contributions are welcome and encouraged. We are also planning a blog by
the end of this month with performance numbers to cover some detail on the
work done as part of the VTK rendering improvements.

Most Recent Updates:

   -

   Added support for multiple component (2, 3, 4) independent components
   and 2 dependent components
   -

   Fixed cropping issues and fixed related tests
   -

   Fixed a bug which result in a crash when context changes

Other Updates

   -

   Fixed various mac issues
   -

   Improved interactive performance for large volumes
   -

   Fixed extents not getting updated issues in presence of other filters
   -

   Fixed window color adjustments issues.
   -

   Fixed issue with noise textures
   -

   Added volume rendering benchmarking tests
   -

   Added new volume tests. Now testing various features where were not
   tested before (52 volume tests now)
   -

   Fixed resources not releasing issues
   -

   vtkVolume now uses vtkTextureObject
   -

   Using the shader cache for volume rendering
   -

   99 % tests are passing on Mac/Linux and Windows.

Work in Progress

   -

   Fixing 2 and 3 independent component tests on a particular dashboard
   that uses Mesa GL
   -

   Looking into some very specific rendering performance issues
   specifically on Mac
   - New blog post on volume rendering

--

*| Aashish Chaudhary | Technical Leader         | Kitware Inc.            *
*| http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html