[vtkusers] Running vtk into blender

Laurent l.paul at uclouvain.be
Fri Apr 10 05:03:27 EDT 2015

Hi folks,
I'm trying to import vtk into Blender to use specific filters. I'm facing
some difficulties since Blender is not able to find, and subsequently, to
use any filter.

Here is the situation:
I've built VTK including the python wrapping. I have DLLs and *.py
libraries. I have created PYTHONPATH and added both Wrapping\python and
VTK\Release directories. Python 2.7 has been used to generate *.py VTK
libraries. The python 3.4 interpreter (and blender since my blender version
is using a python V3.4 distribution) is able to import the vtk library but
gives me an error "Import error: Dynamic module does not define init
function(PyInit_vtkCommonCorePython)"

I'm very pessimistic because VTK has been built using python 2.7 and blender
uses python 3.4. Python 3.4 cannot find the suitable DLL corresponding to
the .py since VTK dlls are named "vtkLIBxxx27D-6.1.dll" and specifically
dedicated for python 2.7.

Is there a way to force a backward compatibility to blender and its python
interpreter to import a python 2.7 library?
Do we have any chance to make vtk (python 2.7) working into blender (python
3.4)?

Thanks for your help.

Laurent.