[vtkusers] VTK-6.1 and Visual Studio 2013 on VirtualBox

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Thu Apr 2 16:49:07 EDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 12:50:10 -0600, David Gobbi wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> Around a year ago, I did a 64-bit build of VTK 6.1 (or thereabouts) with
> Visual Studio 2013 Express on Win7-64 running on VirtualBox.  I didn't
> run into any errors like the one you describe above.
>

> I suspect that all the errors are related to this:
>
>   CMake Warning (dev) at Utilities/KWSys/vtksys/CMakeLists.txt:264
>   (CONFIGURE_FILE):
>     configure_file called with unknown argument(s): COPY_ONLY
>
> You're using a version of CMake 3.x that expects cmake files to use
> COPYONLY instead of the older COPY_ONLY.  Try cmake 2.8.12,
> and I bet the problem will disappear.

This isn't an error but a warning. CMake 3 is informing that COPY_ONLY
is no longer supported.

> Does anyone else know why CMake 3 would be giving this error?  It
> seems like a nasty bit of backwards-incompatibility.

The real problems are probably pointed out by CMP0054. Places which
check:

    set(compiler "MSVC")
    if (compiler STREQUAL "MSVC")

turn into:

    if (MSVC STREQUAL 1)

and are therefore *false* because MSVC is defined as "1" with it and not
defined otherwise and "if" automatically dereferences. The new behavior
is that quoted strings are not considered for automatic expansion
thereby pointing out probable errors in the previous code. My guess is
that MSVC detection needed is being skipped somewhere because of the
bugs pointed out (*not* caused) by CMP0054.

--Ben