[vtkusers] Smart volumetric rendering like Paraview

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu Sep 25 08:34:07 EDT 2014

Hi Robin,

If you can reproduce this behavior with a small example code and post it
somewhere, then can probably guide you better. But it seems that you are
running into some sort of loop may be? What OS and VTK version is this?

Thanks

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 5:20 AM, Robin Picou <robin.picou at audiogaming.net>
wrote:

> Ok, I've just rebuilt VTK and the examples in 64 bits. No more crash, but
> the process takes 1.8 gb in RAM then freeze. I don't get why a 35mo file
> (the smaller I have) will take 1.8 gb after reading, especially while
> Paraview only needs something like 150 mb : / .

>> Have you tried compiling VTK as 64bit? This looks like you have ran
>> out of process memory for a 32bit program.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Robin Picou
>> <robin.picou at audiogaming.net> wrote:
>> > Hi there !
>> >
>> > I'm new to the VTK world, and I'm a bit lost at the moment.
>> > I need to get a volumetric rendering of .vtk files (structured points),
>> like
>> > in Paraview ( see example here : http://imgur.com/qAKvynv ).
>> >
>> > The HAVSVVolumeMapper example seems to do something very similar, but
>> I'm
>> > unable to load my files :
>> >
>> > ERROR: In c:\vtk\vtk-6.1.0\common\core\vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx, line
>> 314
>> > vtkIdTypeArray (029CCDC0): Unable to allocate 145475925 elements of
>> size 4
>> > bytes.
>> >
>> > ERROR: In c:\vtk\vtk-6.1.0\common\core\vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx, line
>> 314
>> > vtkIdTypeArray (029CB710): Unable to allocate 72737961 elements of size
>> 4
>> > bytes.
>> >
>> > My files are quite big (50-60 mo, almost 20 million points), but in
>> Paraview
>> > it's loaded without any issues and the visualization is fast enough for
>> my
>> > needs.
>> >

>> > The SmarlVolumeMapper example seems to be able to do this kind of
>> rendering,
>> > but I don't know how to use it with .vtk files, so if someone has some
>> hints
>> > on how to achieve this, I'll be deeply grateful !
>> >

>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Robin

>> > Powered by www.kitware.com

>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at:
>> > http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

*| Aashish Chaudhary | Technical Leader         | Kitware Inc.            *
*| http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html
<http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html>*