[vtkusers] Smart volumetric rendering like Paraview

Robin Picou robin.picou at audiogaming.net
Wed Sep 24 12:25:08 EDT 2014

Hi there !

I'm new to the VTK world, and I'm a bit lost at the moment.
I need to get a volumetric rendering of .vtk files (structured points),
like in Paraview ( see example here : http://imgur.com/qAKvynv ).

The HAVSVVolumeMapper example seems to do something very similar, but I'm
unable to load my files :

ERROR: In c:\vtk\vtk-6.1.0\common\core\vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx, line 314
vtkIdTypeArray (029CCDC0): Unable to allocate 145475925 elements of size 4
bytes.

ERROR: In c:\vtk\vtk-6.1.0\common\core\vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx, line 314
vtkIdTypeArray (029CB710): Unable to allocate 72737961 elements of size 4
bytes.

My files are quite big (50-60 mo, almost 20 million points), but in
Paraview it's loaded without any issues and the visualization is fast
enough for my needs.

The SmarlVolumeMapper example seems to be able to do this kind of
rendering, but I don't know how to use it with .vtk files, so if someone
has some hints on how to achieve this, I'll be deeply grateful !

Thanks in advance,
Robin