[vtkusers] GPURenderDemo- Difference between linux OS and Windows OS

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Mon Sep 22 09:36:37 EDT 2014

Hi There,

I did some just to verify my thoughts. So typically if you see memory usage
of an application that  is running a OpenGL application, 1) it may also
include the video memory used by the application (which is also dynamically
allocated). This is mostly the case on a linux system.

2) Now if we verify that is not the case then, the driver keeps a copy on
the RAM if it does not have enough space on the Video RAM.

Now if you have the NVIDIA card (which you said you have), you can
use nvidia-smi command line utility. You should run it before and after to
see the VRAM usage by your app. That difference should be very close to
what you see extra in the top / htop. The other way to verify this is to
look into the /proc and idenfity the usage there.

Let me know if this helps.

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 9:18 PM, Emptystack <wulihouxiaoshuai at 163.com>
wrote:

> I am very sorry to trouble you again. Have you found the cause of my
> problem
> ?
>

> --

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

*| Aashish Chaudhary | Technical Leader         | Kitware Inc.            *
*| http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html
<http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html>*