[vtkusers] About vtkCellLocator::IntersectWithLine method

Nicolas Gallego nicgallego at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 13:13:39 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am using the locator find the intersections between the normal lines of
one surface to another surface, both surface being triangular meshes loaded
as vtkPolyData.

I find a little confusing the documentation regarding this particular
method of the locator, could anybody clarify it please?

I am using the following signature (taken form vtkAbstractCellLocator.h)

  // Return intersection point (if any) AND the cell which was intersected
by
  // the finite line.
  virtual int IntersectWithLine(
    double p1[3], double p2[3], double tol, double& t, double x[3],
    double pcoords[3], int &subId, vtkIdType &cellId);

I understand that p1 and p2 are the extremes of the intersecting finite
line segment,  and tol is some sort of tolerance, but my confusion is about
the reference double& t, x, pcoords and the rest,

Are all of them outputs?

thank you, I will appreciate if you point out some example code or filter
that uses this fuctionallity, or any other idea to do just that, intersect
a PolyData surface with a given line.

Nicolás Gallego-Ortiz
Université catholique de Louvain, Belgium