[vtkusers] Represent particles (as a set of points) and associate a scalar to them?

Nephophobic thomas.barusseau at epita.fr
Fri Oct 31 05:32:03 EDT 2014

Hello.

I'm working on an old project, and the vtk format used is the legacy ASCII
one.
I need to display particles in ParaView, and the code already there
generates .particles files, which use the PARTICLES dataset. First of all, I
can't find anything on the Internet about that dataset. Second of all, here
is the content :

> # vtk DataFile Version 3.6.2
> Particle file, current time (s) = 1
>
> DATASET PARTICLES
> POINTS 2 float
> 0.003 0.815 0.026
> 0.241 0.508 0.053
>
> POINT_DATA 2
> SCALARS identity float 1
> LOOKUP_TABLE default
> 1
> 2

Now this looks good : it's two particles, represented by (x, y, z) values,
and each of them has a scalar `identity` associated.

However, when opening this in ParaView, I don't get 2 points, I get 4. Also
the values are all messed up, and I can't even color them according to their
`identity` value. So, it sucks. And since I can't find anything about the
PARTICLES dataset, I guess I shouldn't use it.

Can someone help me in any way ?