[vtkusers] How to use vtkBooleanOperationPolyDataFilter correctly

santosh scbiradar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 09:23:12 EDT 2014

Hi Cory,
I tried the vtkBooleanOperationPolyDataFilter on two closed surfaces which
are intersecting with each other.
I made sure that the normals of both the closed surfaces point outwards.
After i perform a union operation using the
vtkBooleanOperationPolyDataFilter, I get holes in the
final result. I am attaching the two individual STL files and the result of
the union operation. I am aslo attaching an image that shows the holes in
the resultant STL file. Is this expected behavior ? Can I do something to
get a surface without any holes?
input_1.stl <http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5729039/input_1.stl>
input_2.stl <http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5729039/input_2.stl>
output.stl <http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5729039/output.stl>