[vtkusers] Python .egg packaging and installation with VTK v6.1.0

Adamos Kyriakou somada141 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 07:53:06 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I’ve managed to build VTK v6.1.0 (release branch) against the Anaconda Python 2.7.8 under Windows 8.1 with Visual Studio 2012 without a hitch. However, as I can see from the changelog VTK no longer ships with a ‘setup.py’ to allow for the installation and packaging of the build. So:

1) How do you go about packaging to an .egg now for distribution?
2) How do you install it to a given ‘site-packages’ directory? As far as I could tell I just needed to build the ‘INSTALL’ upon setting the ‘VTK_INSTALL_PYTHON_MODULE_DIR’ variable under CMake to the ‘lib\site-packages’ directory of my Python installation. I should mention that during  ‘Install’ all the ‘bin’, ‘include’, etc directories end up under ‘Program Files’. However, when trying to import VTK through python under the Python installation I just installed it in, the import fails with a:

```
from vtkCommonCorePython import *
Import Error: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found
```

even though the vtkCommonCorePython.pyd file in under the same directory as all the others.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!
Adam