[vtkusers] vtk with python

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Nov 3 15:21:48 EST 2014

bad news:

The vtkpython packages are intended to be a standalone executable for
trying vtk from (for instance in learning vtk type courses that Kitware
offers) so I have not tried to do what you are aiming for. We hope to tie
up the loose ends and make a real python installer soon but are not there
yet. When we do "pip install vtk" should do the trick. Until then, the
recommended way to get vtkpython is to build vtk from source and install it
(unless you are fortunate enough to be using a Linux or other distribution
system that already has a python vtk package).

That being said:
Add c:\Program Files\VTK 6.1.0\bin to your PATH so that the libraries can
be found, and c:\Program Files\VTK 6.1.0\bin\Lib\site-packages to your
PYTHONPATH, and you should be up and running.

hth

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer