[vtkusers] Bug found in vtkTIFFReader

matheus_viana vianamp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 13:30:26 EST 2014

Hi guys.

I have an image processing algorithm that I am suppose to apply over many
16bit TIFF images. I wrote a simple routine that basically opens the image
apply the algorithm and saves the result. However, I noticed that around the
image number 250 the algorithm always crashes. Tracking back the problem I
found a bug in the class vtkTIFFReader. This is a simple code that can be
used to reproduce the error.

Please download the sample.tif image at

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pw15mo9ievnzx1o/sample.tif?dl=0

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks a lot.

#include <vtkTIFFReader.h>
#include <vtkSmartPointer.h>

int main() {
	for (int i = 0; i < 400; i++) {
		vtkSmartPointer<vtkTIFFReader> TIFFReader =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkTIFFReader>::New();
		TIFFReader -> SetFileName("sample.tif");
		TIFFReader -> Update();
		printf("%d\n",i);
	}
	return 0;