[vtkusers] vtkChart large axis ranges

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu May 22 13:49:55 EDT 2014

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 8:48 PM, Andrew Ward
<andrew.derek.ward at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to use a vtkChartXY with an x-axis in the range of 32-bit
> floating-point numbers (-3.40282e+038 to 3.40282e+038), however when adding
> values with a range greater than 1e10, the chart fails to render properly.
>
> I tracked one possible problem down to vtkChart::CalculatePlotTransform,
> where the scaling factor is altered for large ranges, which at least
> explains why the issue appears over the 1e10 limit, but I am at a loss as to
> whether this is a bug, or whether I am using the chart incorrectly.
>
> Any suggestions much appreciated,

I wrote most of this code, if you could supply a few lines of code to
trigger it I will take a look. The scaling is there to support double
precision data that needs to be plotted and it sounds like my tests
miss a case that is hitting you here.

Thanks,

Marcus