[vtkusers] Vtk xml file format questions.

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon May 12 18:25:26 EDT 2014

Greg,

I don't see any answer to your question yet. Probably because you ask hard questions. I'll give it a shot.

1. I believe you can achieve what you want with the Block tag in a vtm file. I've attached an example vtm file that makes a two level assembly.

2. I don't think there is any way to split the topology from the field information in any of the xml formats.

3. That probably depends on what type of file, encoding, and reading you are planning on doing. If you are trying to read a sub-extent of a structured data set with uncompressed raw data, then I would expect the reader to do a reasonable job seeking to the right parts of the file (although I haven't actually checked). If you are trying to do the same thing with an ASCII file or a file with compressed encoding or an unstructured grid, then the reader will probably have to read through the file. I would expect the reader will be able to seek to a particular time step. If you have a lot of nodes in a large parallel job trying to read from the same file, you are probably going to have a lot of contention in the file system in any case.

4. Yes. I just did an experiment where I created a 200^3 Wavelet source in ParaView and wrote it out in the two formats you prescribed. Writing it out as a vti file with binary compressed data (using the ZLIB encoder), I get a 35MB file. Writing out an ASCII file and then compressing with gzip with the highest compression flag, I get a 46MB file. The binary file probably also has higher precision.

5. Probably. It sounds like you've already outgrown the XML files. Speaking from experience in the ParaView project, we've spent a lot of time making sure Exodus files work well with multi block unstructured grids. A lot of folks have had good luck using the XDMF format (over HDF5). I think Kitware is also working on general ADIOS readers/writers, but I don't think they are done with that yet.

-Ken