[vtkusers] vtk.org download page redesign

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Fri May 9 12:13:55 EDT 2014

Hi Chris,

> We are in the process of redesigning the VTK download page, in order to create a more pleasing user experience.
>
> I'd like to hear from the community: what do you think is important in the download page?  The goal is to emulate the aesthetics and usability of the current Paraview download page [1].

I like the slicer approach for displaying the current versions: large buttons in a matrix, with your current browser's OS highlighted. Unlike slicer and paraview, VTK is a library, so the source should probably also be featured as a big Bootstrap button. I like slicer's system requirements and think we should provide some information about what platforms undergo heavy testing.

I think that older versions should be available, like the ParaView page -- but they should not clutter the page with pull-down menus that you feel you must inspect before clicking the download button.

I think both slicer and paraview are missing release notes as a prominent feature. Finally, checksum information should be available, especially for source code.

	David